mandag den 24. august 2015

Oh Coco! - classic jacket for fall

The Coco jacket from Schnittchen Patterns is the first item to get ticked off my fall sewing list. - I still feel all organized following my plan. Lets see how long it will last before I start a new sewing project on a whim...


From the Schnittchen Patterns website:
Coco convinces through its plain cut, rounded corners and 3⁄4 length sleeves. It is fully lined.


I can confirm that the Coco convinces me. I love this jacket. I rarely feel that about a new item, but this is one of those rare moments when colour, pattern and fabric choice just make everything so worth it.


I made a few changes to the pattern. First of all I added snaps - I even bought one of those tools to set them in. I think the snaps give a classic jacket a more modern edge. Then I added four selfdrafted pockets in two different sizes to keep a classic vibe.


This is my first time working with bouclé. It's a tricky fabric where the fraying was almost driving me nuts. I made sure to cut a 3 cm seamallowance and then I did a zig zag stich on all patternpiecec to prevent fraying. I used interfacing on the bouclé where I set in the snaps and on the facings. I also made a back stay on the top of the backpieces to prevent the jacket from stretching out. As a final touch I like to use piping in the seam between facings and lining. The pattern is well drafted and came together easily. I can really recommend this pattern as a go to pattern for a classic jacket.

I know my method of treating the bouclé is not the couture quilting method. I'm hoping this Coco jacket will give me the last bit of courage to finally tackling the black chanel fabric I bought to make "the real deal" with all the couture methods.



How is your fall sewing coming along? Next on my list is a silk shirt dress - have you got any tips for sewing with silk?


Happy sewing.

Mette


Pattern: Coco jacket from Schnittchen
Fabric: cotton bouclé from Paris - I can't remember the name of the fabric shop.

1 kommentar:

  1. Wow, hvor er den smart! Jeg er imponeret over hvor produktiv du altid er - jeg kan ikke engang få syet leggins til pigerne :)

    SvarSlet